Regaine Extra Strength for Men
Regaine Extra Strength is a topical treatment for men experiencing male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia), which may affect you if you are genetically susceptible, meaning it runs in the family. Regaine Extra contains the active ingredient minoxidil, at a strength of 5%, and is applied directly to your scalp to stimulate hair re-growth in as little as 8 weeks.
Regaine Extra Strength is a suitable treatment for male pattern baldness if you are male and between the ages of 18 to 65. It is not a cure for hair loss, but it is an effective treatment to stop and reverse hair loss for as long as you continue treatment.
You may find losing your hair upsetting, but you are not alone. You may find speaking to other people in the same situation or even counselling helpful. You should also look after your scalp. Don’t forget to use sun protection when the sun is out.
How does Regaine Extra Strength work?
Normal hair growth occurs in cycles, individual hair follicles alternate between resting and growth phases. Higher levels of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) interrupt the cycle and can result in a reduction in the growth phase and thinning of the hair. Regaine Extra works directly on your scalp, increasing blood circulation to the hair follicles and also stimulating the hair follicles to switch to the growth phase for longer periods.
How much does Regaine Extra Strength for Men cost?
Packs and prices
We offer fast, next-day shipping on orders placed before 3pm, so you have your medication when you need it.
You will have continued support from our doctor or our care team here at PrivateDoc.
Is Regaine Extra Strength suitable for me?
If you are experiencing hair loss as ‘male pattern baldness’ then our doctors can help you to decide if it is suitable for you, following a brief online consultation. If you would prefer to use a topical treatment to apply rather than an oral treatment, then Regaine Extra may be more suitable for you.Get Started How much does Regaine Extra Strength for Men cost?
How do I use Regaine Extra Strength?
You should apply Regaine Extra Strength twice daily to the affected areas of your scalp using the included applicators. 6 pumps of the applicators will deliver your total dose of 1ml of Regaine Extra solution, ensure the solution is massaged into your scalp with your fingertips. After application is complete, it is important to wash your hands and other areas of exposed skin where hair growth is not wanted.
Hair does not need to be washed before using Regaine Extra. If it is washed, then your scalp must be thoroughly dry before applying Regaine Extra. After application of Regaine Extra the hair should be allowed to dry naturally without using a hairdryer.
You must then allow 12 hours between applications.
What do we need to know?
Regaine Extra Strength is not a cure for hair loss but it is very effective whilst you continue to use it regularly. Once you stop using Regaine Extra, any results you see will start to reverse again.
Studies have shown the 5% solution produces significantly improved results compared with the 2% solution.Get Started How much does Regaine Extra Strength for Men cost?
What are the possible side effects of using Regaine Extra Strength?
Like all medicines, Regaine Extra Strength can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the following, stop using Regaine Extra and seek immediate medical help:
- Chest pain
- Swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue or throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing If you experience any of the following, stop using Regaine Extra and seek medical help:
- Allergic reactions including swollen face, skin redness or itching or throat tightness
- Low blood pressure
- Fast heartbeat or an increased awareness of your heartbeat (palpitations)
- Faintness or dizziness
- Swollen hands or feet, shortness of breath
- Sudden unexplained weight gain
- Persistent local redness or rash
Other effects which may occur include:
Very Common side effects
These may affect more than 1 in 10 men using Regaine Extra:
Common side effects
These may affect up to 1 in 10 men using Regaine Extra:
- Itching or dermatitis
- Unwanted non scalp hair has been reported. Always wash your hands thoroughly after application and if you accidently apply the solution to parts of your body other than the scalp, rinse thoroughly with plenty of water
Uncommon side effects
These may affect up to 1 in 100 men using Regaine Extra:
Rare side effects
These may affect up to 1 in 1000 men using Regaine Extra:
- Change in hair texture may occur. If this happens, you should stop using Regaine Extra
Other side effects which may occur, but it is not known how often:
- Eye irritation
- Scalp irritation such as local redness, dryness, flaky skin, have all been reported. This may be due to propylene glycol in the product. This is usually only a temporary effect, but if it is persistent you should stop using Regaine Extra.
- Acne-like rash, itchy rash, blistering, bleeding or ulceration
- Temporary hair loss may occur during the first 2-6 weeks of use. This is likely to be as a result of a change within the growth cycle and it should stop within a couple of weeks. If this hair loss continues for longer than two weeks, stop using Regaine Extra and talk to our doctors
- Change in hair colour may occur. If this happens, you should stop using Regaine Extra.
If you get any side effects, contact our doctors. This includes any possible side effects not listed here.
- How minoxidil was transformed from an antihypertensive to hair-loss drug, The Pharmaceutical Journal20 JUL 2011 https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/news/how-minoxidil-was-transformed-from-an-antihypertensive-to-hair-loss-drug
- Olsen, et al. A randomized clinical trial of 5% topical minoxidil versus 2% topical minoxidil and placebo in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002 Sep;47(3):377-85 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12196747