It is one of the fastest acting treatments for impotence taking only 25 minutes to take effect and lasts for up to five hours. Vardenafil (generic Levitra) will only work when you are sexually stimulated. It reduces the action of the natural chemical in your body which makes erections go away. It allows an erection to last long enough for you to satisfactorily complete sexual activity.
How does Vardenafil work?
Vardenafil (generic Levitra) works by blocking a chemical called PDE5. When PDE5 is blocked, more of the chemicals responsible for the erection remain, so the muscles in the penis do not constrict. This allows blood to stay in the penis longer, thereby maintaining an erection.
Patient Information Leaflet:
Partial, sudden, temporary or permanent decrease or loss of vision in one or both eyes has been experienced by patients. Stop taking Vardenafil Vardenafil (generic Levitra) and contact your doctor immediately.
Sudden decrease or loss of hearing has been reported.
Possible Side Effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Most of the effects are mild or moderate.
Very common side effects of treatment; may affect more than 1 in 10 users
Common; may affect up to 1 in 10 users
- Blocked or runny nose
Uncommon side effects; may affect 1 in 100 users
- Swelling of skin and mucous tissue including swollen face, lips or throat
- Sleep disorder
- Numbness and impaired perception of touch
- Effects on vision; redness of the eye, effects on colour vision, eye pain and discomfort, light sensitivity
- Ringing in the ears; vertigo
- Fast heart beat or pounding heart
- Stuffy nose
- Acid reflux, gastritis, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting; feeling sick (nausea), dry mouth
- Raised levels of liver enzymes in your blood
- Rash, reddened skin
- Back or muscle pain; increase in blood of a muscle enzyme (creatine phosphokinase), muscle stiffness
- Prolonged erections
Rare side effects; may affect 1 in 1,000 users
- Inflammation of the eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Allergic reaction
- Increase pressure in the eye (glaucoma), lacrimation increased
- Effects on the heart (such as heart attack, altered heart beat or angina)
- High or low blood pressure
- Nose bleed
- Effect on results of blood tests to check liver function
- Sensitivity of the skin to sun light
- Painful erections
- Chest pain
Take special care with BEGINNING TREATMENT WITH Vardenafil (generic Levitra) if
- if you have heart trouble. It may be risky for you to have sex.
- if you suffer from irregular heart beat (cardiac arrythmia) or inherited heart diseases affecting your electrocardiogram.
- if you have a physical condition affecting the shape of the penis. This includes conditions called angulation, Peyronie’s disease and cavernosal fibrosis.
- if you have an illness that can cause erections which won’t go away (priapism). These include sickle cell disease, multiple myeloma and leukaemia.
- if you have stomach ulcers (also called gastric or peptic ulcers).
- if you have a bleeding disorder (such as haemophilia).
- if you are using any other treatments for erection difficulties, including Vardenafil orodispersible tablets.
- if you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop taking the tablets and contact your doctor immediately.
The recommended starting dose is 10mg and with Vardenafil (generic Levitra) also available in 5mg and 20mg doses, your treatment can be tailored to suit you.
Take one tablet with a glass of water Vardenafil tablet about 25 to 60 minutes before sexual activity. With sexual stimulation you may achieve an erection anywhere from 25 minutes up to four to five hours after taking a treatment of Vardenafil.
An orally dissolvable version of Vardenafil (Vardenafil Orodispersible) is also available.
Patilent Information Leaflets: