Like any other prescription medication you must consult a doctor before using DUAC Once Daily.
PrivateDoc offers a confidential free consultation service that may result in you receiving a prescription for DUAC Once Daily if it is deemed appropriate and DUAC Once Daily can prescribed safely.
Complete a 100% free and secure consultation to explore your treatment options.
Duac Gel is comprised of two ingredients. 1 gram of gel contains -
10mg of clindamycin phosphate (1% w/w)
30mg of hydrous benzyl peroxide (3% w/w)
Duac come in a GEL form which is usually white to a slight yellow colour.
DUAC Once Daily Gel belongs to a group of medicines known as ‘anti-acne preparations’.
DUAC Once Daily is used for treating mild to moderate acne of the skin in adults and adolescents over the age of 12.
- Clindamycin is an antibiotic which stops the bacteria involved in acne from reproducing
- Benzoyl peroxide reduces blackheads and whiteheads. It also kills the bacteria involved in acne.
Used together in DUAC ONCE DAILY GEL, these work by:-
- fighting the bacteria that can cause acne
- treating existing blackheads, whiteheads, and spots
- lowering the number of red, inflamed acne spots
Private Doc will prescribe DUAC Once Daily where it is suitable.
People qualify for DUAC Once Daily if:-
- They have mild to moderate Acne
DUAC Once Daily should not be used by:-
- People who are allergic to benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin or the related antibiotic lincomycin.
For further information and contraindications please see Patient information leaflet
- Wash the skin with a mild cleanser and pat it dry before applying the gel
- DUAC Once Daily gel should be applied thinly to the whole affected areas of skin, not just the individual spots, once a day in the evening. If the gel doesn't rub in easily you are applying too much.
- Wash your hands after applying the gel.
- If you experience excessive redness, dryness or peeling of your skin after using this gel, decrease the amount of gel you use and use it less frequently, or stop temporarily. If any soreness persists consult your doctor.
- Do not use this product excessively - this won't make it any more effective but will increase the chance of it irritating your skin.
- This medicine should not be used for longer than 12 weeks at a time.
Important information about DUAC Gel:-
- This gel is for external use on the skin only and must not be taken by mouth.
- Avoid getting the gel in contact with the eyes, mouth, lips and mucous membranes such as the lining of the nose. Rinse the gel off with warm water if you accidentally get it on these areas.
- Avoid applying the gel to broken, irritated or sunburnt skin.
- Avoid exposing the treated areas to prolonged sunlight or to sunbeds or sunlamps. If exposure is unavoidable, use a suitable sunscreen lotion because benzoyl peroxide increases the sensitivity of your skin to sunlight.
- This product may bleach hair and coloured fabrics including clothing, towels and bed linen. Be careful to avoid getting the gel on these materials.
- When clindamycin is taken by mouth it can sometimes cause inflammation of the bowel (colitis). Although this is very unlikely to occur when you use the antibiotic on the skin, if you get diarrhoea either during or after using this medicine, particularly if it becomes severe or persistent, or contains blood or mucus, you should stop using this medicine and consult your doctor immediately.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Just because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)
- Redness, dryness and peeling of the skin at the application site (usually mild).
Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)
- Burning sensation at the application site.
For further information and a full list of possible side effects please see Patient information leaflet